Re: how to split a 4.8 GB avi-file?

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:27:38 +0100 (MET),
Burkhard Ritter wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Martin NospamHenne wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I recorded successfully a 4.8 GB AVI-Movie from my TV-Card. I
> > can watch that movie using mplayer.  (I'm using reiserfs).
> >
> > Now I want to cut out the commercials and compress the file
> > to e.g. divx.
> >
> > My problem is, that my cutting software (glav, I love it)
> > only recognizes the first 2 GB of the avi-file.
> >
> > I tried to split the file using aviplit, but avisplit seems
> > to be buggy, because it doesn't work the way it should. Maybe
> > it cannot handle the reiserfs. It allways produces one chunk
> > and then exits.
> >
> > So how can I split my 4.8GB file into 3 or more independent
> > AVI-Files?
> [...]
>
> Perhabs you should contact the authors of glav, or similar; or
> even better submit a bug.

No. This is a known limitation of the AVI format. Typically AVI's
greater than 2GB aren't "indexed" (though there are hacked
version of the AVI format which overcome this). You can stream
the AVI but you can't seek in it, necessary for editing.

A workaround would probably be to have mplayer reencode the video
to the smaller target size first *then* edit out the commercials.
But I suspect you're using mjpegtools. mjpegtools can record to
segmented AVIs. Why not use that option? Then you can run
something "glav movie-00*". Nowadays I use mplayer to record
straight to high-quality divx.