Re: Kernel compile

"GBV" <guilherme@plannercorretora.com.br> writes:

> Anyone knows the best web reference to
>
> source to download the newest kernel
> compile a new kernel, in debian with dpkg
> configure lilo
> booting, and restoring if a sinister occurs..
> managing several kernel versions

I don't know of a Web reference (somebody else probably does), but:

(1) Kernel sources are frequently available in Debian
    (kernel-source-...); if not, you can look on
    http://www.kernel.org/.

(2) 'apt-get install kernel-package', and read its documentation
    (/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz, make-kpkg(8)).

(5) Essentially, put all of the kernel versions you care about in your
    boot loader configuration.  If you decide you don't want one any
    more, you can just remove it using dpkg like any other package.

Short summary, assuming you have everything (kernel modules, gcc,
libncurses5-dev, bin86, fakeroot, kernel-package) installed:

  for i in /usr/src/modules; do tar xzf $i; done
  export MODULE_LOC=$PWD/modules
  wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.20.tar.gz
  tar xzf linux-2.4.20.tar.gz
  mv linux linux-2.4.20
  cd linux-2.4.20
  cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config
  make menuconfig
  make-kpkg --rootcmd=fakeroot --revision=custom.1 \
    --append-to-version=-dzm kernel-image
  fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=-dzm modules-image
  sudo dpkg -i ../*.deb

Some of this is unnecessary if you don't have any add-on kernel
modules (ALSA, lm-sensors, OpenAFS, etc.).  You can run this from
anywhere.  There's nothing particularly special about /usr/src/linux,
and none of my machines have a link or directory there.  If you have a
previously built kernel, you might try starting with that kernel's
.config rather than what you have installed now.  Finally, all of this
will produce kernel-image-2.4.20-dzm and related packages; I'm
starting to think the --append-to-version is nice (and will typically
use the name of the machine I'm building the kernel for) since then
I'm guaranteed to not conflict with the official Debian kernel
packages.

	-- Abra Mitchell