RE: Convincing someone to switch to Linux

> The part of the argument that is incomprehensible to me is
> why they need $1000 to buy a single computer!  Nowadays most
> people (even those who use Windows) are spending $500 or less.
>
> Since presumably no one in the group is simulating nuclear
> bomb blasts or calculating the structure of hemoglobin from
> basic principles,
> it is indefensible to spend $1000 on a SINGLE computer.

Maybe not, if the computer is bugeted for and has to last say, 3 or 4 years,
buying a cheap low to middle spec pc now, will result is a 'too slow' pc
toward the end of that period.

Buying a more expensive but not quite top of the range, maybe something
which was top 6 months ago, will be better 3 years down the line.

If you have to buy a monitor, buy a nice one, you have to stare at them for
hours, they hold their value and last for years.

With regard to changing peoples minds, good luck.   An important point to
remember is that some pople do not enjoy using computers, they regard them
as they would any other appliance, not something that they feel much time
should be spent learning.
This is not nessesarily a bad attitude, just one of many gradients between
geek and luddite.

just my personal opinion of course.

Children's Cancer Institute Australia is the only independent medical
research institute in Australia solely devoted to research into the causes,
prevention and cure of childhood cancer. Our vision is to save the lives of
all children with cancer and eliminate their suffering.
http://www.ccia.org.au