Re: tar ate my symlinks

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:54:14 -0500
Brian Victor <bhv1@psu.edu> wrote:

> Thanks in advance to anyone who helps make my machine usable again.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have other
recommendations.

Right now, before you do anything else, mount a floppy and do:

dpkg --get-selections>/floppy/debs.installed

To get save a list of all your packages. Repeat as necessary (later, if
you install/delete packages) to keep your list up-to-date. If you ever
need to reinstall, install only the base system, then mount that floppy
and do:

dpkg --set-selections</floppy/debs.installed
apt-get dselect-upgrade

to install the same packages on the new system that you had on the old.

Go through your home and /etc directories and save configuration files
that you have changed from defaults. (Hint: if you put them in /home and
/etc directory trees on the floppy you can copy "/floppy/etc/* /etc" to
put them on your new system.

All that being said, I hope someone can help you avoid reinstalling.

Kevin