Re: making nvidia drivers

John F. wrote:
Gavrila wrote:

John F. wrote:

I have a NVIDIA GeForce3, and the "nv" driver doesn't work very well. I want to compile the "nvidia" driver from the sources, but I don't know how to do it. I have installed nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-glx-source, but I don't know how to make the .deb packages to install. What commands do I issue to do this?
Thanks

I don't really think you need to have a .deb pkg to do that since you're 'patching' the kernel. However enter Nvidia_kernel dir and type 'make install', then go to Nvidia_glx and do the same. Then you have to edit the XFREE config file as stated in the nividia installation guide on nvidia site.

Regards

I went to the nvidia_kernel dir and typed 'make install', but it said "*** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop." The nvidia_kernel dir is under /usr/src/modules. I have made a .deb file from /usr/src/modules for some alsa-modules, but I can't remember how to do it. Any ideas?

Are these the .deb packages or the tar.gz packages from nvidia's website, i.e. nvidia-kernel-src-xxx.deb? If they are the .deb packages then make won't work, because these .deb packages are NOT the source, they are kind of "wrappers" around the real tar.gz files. If you follow the directions in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-src/glx, these .debs will download the tar,gz files for you. Unfortunately, one of them didn't work for me, and later, after failing to get the alsa-modules to compile too, I gave up on make-kpkg again and went back to doing things directly. Its actually much simpler. As root, untar both into some directory, switch to the directory, make clean, make, make install, and you're done. As long as nvidia-kernel can find the kernel source (glx doesn't need the kernel source), usually a /usr/src/linux link, then its pretty much automatic. The same basically applies to the alsa-source-xxx.tar.gz too.