New Install || weirdness || blue-ish text

I realize that the subject is a horrible description, but it takes some
explaining.  I've just done a base install of Debian on my Dell 8200
laptop which previously has Red Hat installed.  In Red Hat, console or X
mode, everything looked fine.  In Debian however, the installer had
lines running up and down it, I just figured it was a weird X driver
issue since I have a Nvidia GeForce 4 Go card (which requires special
drivers from Nvidia to run).  Now however I've completed the installer
and am in basic console mode (nothing else installed at the moment), and
all the text has awful blue lines on randomly placed corners of
character.  It's hideous and quite hard to read.  Any suggestions on
what I might do to fix this?  I know that it has to be fixable since Red
Hat never posed this problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, as
I'd like to stay with Debian after everything I've read.

~ Matthew