Re: Samba, rsync, home network w/ XP, backups?

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, sean finney wrote:

> a ] share your entire xp drive  (ew...), smbmount it onto the woody
>     box, and then just rsync -a between two directories

your entire XP drive is shared anyways, you could smbmount it onto the
woody box using the C$ share and the admin login/password.

>     (i wouldn't recommend that as an automated solution, leaving your
>     entire drive shared is bad...)

indeed, and microsoft insists on doing this, unless you know the registry
keys to remove those shares.

> b ] install cygwin on your xp box, and through cygwin install rsync,
>     cron, and ssh.  then, rsync the directories when you want, just
>     like you would on another linux box (this assumes you know how
>     crontabs work if you want to automate it).

one problem I found with rsync under cygwin is it is HORRIBLY slow.  I
have a dual celeron 433 master server that takes about 30 to 45 minutes to
build the file list for 5 gig of files(about 150,000 files)

The celeron 333 that grabs that list off the NT server, can in turn share
it out in well under a minute.
Mike