Re: Convincing someone to switch to Linux

on Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 08:06:23PM -0500, Roberto Sanchez (sanchezr@hotmail.com) wrote:

> I seem to have a small problem that maybe someone on the list can help
> with.
>
> I belong to a small organization on campus.  We currently have some
> very old (circa 1995-1996) PCs running Win95.  These machines have
> Pentium 150-166 CPUs and 32 MB RAM.
>
> They are in need of replacement for several reasons.  Including speed
> (they are just too slow now), software problems (many problems with
> viruses and people installing all sorts of crap on the machines), and
> some of the hardware has begun to fail.
>
> The budget is $1000-1200 (max).  My solution (I was asked for my
> opinion, as I am seen as pretty computer savvy) was for us to go to
> Walmart and purchase 4 to 6 Linux boxes for $200-$300 each.  My
> rationale was:
>
> 1. Cheaper (all of the CRTs are just fine and can be reused)
> 2. Easier to control people's access (i.e., individual user accounts
>    or very restricted "guest" accounts)
> 3. Security (enough said)
> 4. More than sufficient for the tasks (web browsing, checking email,
>    working on assignments with word processor/spreadsheet and
>    presentations)
>
> The "solution" that they decided on (not yet implemented) is to keep
> the aging machines and purchase one new Dell machine with
> WinXP/OfficeXP.

Good arguments, and likely to go nowhere so long as the people you're
dealing with have no GNU/Linux exposure.

> Their rationale:
>
> 1. Unwillingness to give up familiarity of MS Windows interface
>
> I explained that if that was the only concern, we could install a
> Win9X desktop theme over whatever window manager we used.  I even
> demonstrated the import/export features of OpenOffice.org (to assuage
> another concern about not being able to open/use MS formatted docs).
>
> Their response: Oh well, that's nice, we are getting the new Dell.
>
> It troubles me that the organization is throwing away money that we
> don't have.

People do stupid things all day long for the least of reasons.

> Obviously, I am a proponent of Linux.  But, I feel quite strongly
> about this because of the financial impact.  If we had a $6000
> replacement budget and another $10000-$20000 in the bank, I would not
> be as concerned if they wanted to stick to MS (I hardly use the
> computers myself).  But the leadership refuses to budge, and I feel
> that they are just throwing money away and not doing anything to solve
> the problem.
>
> Has anyone encountered this? How was this handled? What was the
> outcome?  What can I do?

As others have said, this isn't a battle you're likely to win.  You
*can* plant the seed though....

For starters:  Knoppix makes a *great* GNU/Linux introduction.  No
installation hassles, no risk, no configuration.  Pop in a CDROM, boot,
in a couple of minutes you're looking at a full-fledged GNU/Linux
desktop, with 1200+ apps (1263 in 2003-01-18-en), over 2 GiB of apps,
data, even music!  With the price of CDR meda falling to 20-40 cents a
pop (less with rebates, free in instances), burning a spool and keeping
disks handy to distribute to the unwashed is highly encouraged.  This
would include your colleagues.

Quiet demonstration is probably the best adoption tactic.  GNU/Linux's
incursion of the corporate network occured as a covert placement, or
replacement, of boxes in certain roles, often small, where success was
highly likely.  Over time, CIOs would find themselves making
pronouncements in the IT press that "no Linux servers are allowed on our
network, and we'd fire anyone who placed any there", to be informed by
their IT managers "how much of our current network running flawlessly
for the past year do you plan on ripping out, and how many staff, all of
whom are involved in supporting Linux, do you plan to fire?"

Run GNU/Linux on your own equipment, all the better if you have a laptop
which can be seen in operation frequently.  Campaign to have *a*
GNU/Linux system set up (or provide materials for it to be installed
yourself).  If the system works well, it will be its own testament.

And if none of that works, float your resume.  There *are* GNU/Linux
jobs out there, and with time you're likely to land one.

Peace.

    Windows Refund Day II:  fight for your right to refund
    http://www.windowsrefund.net/