Re: Samba, rsync, home network w/ XP, backups?

hi ya barry

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Barry Mathieu wrote:

> I'm a relatively newbie to Linux administration and I need some
> suggestions for data backup/disk mirroring.
>
> I have a home network with a cable router and I'm using samba to share
> data. Two machines are connected to the router; an XP Pro box and Debian
> Woody (running samba).
>
> The XP box has a single 80G disk (sorry I need to use XP for CAD
> applications - ProEngineer and SolidWorks). I would like to put two 80G
> drives in the Debian machine; one to periodically replicate the XP disk,
> the other to backup the Debian machine, provide an incremental data
> backup location for the XP box, and for general file storage.  I'm also
> considering adding a notebook and I want to be able to sync the notebook
> drive.

if you wanna boot the XP ...  you'd probably want to do a 100% full bakcup
first ...  than do your daily incrementals..
	- full bakcups with tools of your choice
	( tar, dump, dd(discouraged), ghost, etc..

incremental backups ...
	- do you want it to be a mirror  or just leave it as
	today.7days.tgz  for incrementals ...

	- use find to find the changes since the last full backup

	- 2nd disk might have /Backup/year/mon/date.incrmental.tgz

rsync is good if you want a "live" copy of the master disk
but occupies lots of disk space ...

raid1 (mirror) is good if yo want a live copy and dont want ot worry about
doing anything to copy data to the other disk .. but if you erase a
project on the master, it will be erased within a few seconds on your
2nd (backup) disk too ... mirroring is  bad for "backups"

for copy the XP stuff.. you need samba setup and working properly
and you'd need XPs shared exported so that debian can read it
	- dont forget to turn on the kernel vfat,etc fs options

example backup scripts
	http://www.Linux-Backup.net

c ya
alvin