incremental/spanning backup to CDR

do people do such things? i am interested in ways of performing both
of the following:

  - incremental backups to CDR
      only the changes get saved each time. i think this requires
      a local repository to be able to generate the diffs or
      whatever each time

  - backups spanning media
      this would be the best: you back up a tree to CDR, and since
      it's larger than 700Mb, you span it across media. ideally,
      there is an index file that helps you locate the file in the
      media pool

any clues, tips, hints my way, please.

`. `'`

Keyserver problems? http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/keyserver.html