Re: SMTPS/SASL and ports

* Curtis Vaughan <curtis@npc-usa.com> [20030314 14:13 PST]:
> Trying to configure postfix for SASL connectivity.
>
> Now most mail clients have you check SSL connectivity enabled, but the
> port remains 25. However, in /etc/services the smtps is by default set
> for port 465.
>
> So, my question is: what is advisable a) change the smtp port for all
> clients to 465; or b) change smtps in services to 25?

Neither.

ESMTP uses secure socket layer connections via the STARTTLS command as
part of a regular ESMTP session on port 25.  Some broken clients
(outlook, OE, variants and other braindead ones in particular) have a
single boolean user preference like "use a secure connection for SMTP"
and determine whether to use STARTTLS or smtp/SSL via the port number.
Stupid!

Anyway, the Right Way to set up your mail server is to use (and
advertise) STARTTLS on port 25.  Leave smtps as it is, and leave it
behind, unless you are required to support dumb MUAs posing as MTAs that
don't understand STARTSSL (or CRAM-MD5) but do need secure auth.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/