Re: dvd + cdrw + modules = problems

-- Conrad Newton <conrad.newton@broadpark.no> wrote
(on Friday, 14 March 2003, 04:07 AM +0100):
> I have been trying to set things up with a DVD on hdc and
> a CD-burner on hdd using modules, but without success.
>
> I am using Debian/unstable with kernel 2.4.20 configured in
> the same way as the Debian package kernel-image-2.4.20-686,
> that is with a highly modular kernel.  I am willing to
> believe that things might work more easily if I compiled
> in support for the DVD and CD-burners, but for the present
> I am stubborn and would like to make it work with modules.

I ran into this problem just a couple months ago. The solution is
actually relatively simple.

In your /etc/modules file, add the following:

    ide-cd ignore <cdrw drive>
    ide-scsi

where <cdrw drive> is the drive spec for your CDRW (hda, hdb, hdc, hdd).

I found that the form 'ide-scsi ignore hdx' didn't work -- it wasn't
ignoring the specified drive. In addition, passing the options via the
bootloader didn't work for whatever reasons... go figure.

Also, I've had problems when manually setting DMA on ide-scsi drives, so
be warned.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net