Re: dvd + cdrw + modules = problems

-- Jack Pistachio <jackpistachio@yahoo.com> wrote
(on Friday, 14 March 2003, 05:08 AM -0800):
> If you don't want to pass these options each time you
> reboot (and ide-cd is compiled as a module) add a file
> ide-cd to /etc/modutils with the following line:
> options ide-cd ignore='hdc hdd'
>
> Is there any reason to not use scsi emulation for the DVD
> too?

Yep. In a word: DMA. I've had problems using DMA in combination with
ide-scsi where either the drive fires up to maximum speed and my
computer locks up, or it simply doesn't turn on, and playing DVDs
becomes intensely choppy.

Whether this should be the case is another question entirely. ;-)

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net