Re: Strange messages

Rodrigo Sobrinho wrote:
I receive this message, but I don't understand who send it. Cron Daemon? What this job does?

From: root@hercules (Cron Daemon)
To: root@hercules
Subject: Cron <root@hercules> test -e /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 06:35:03 +0000

/etc/cron.daily/htdig:
htmerge: Unable to open word list file '/var/lib/htdig/db.wordlist.work'.
  Did you index anything?
  Check your config file and try running htdig again.

Cron is an automated program manager, kind of like Windows Task Scheduler. You (or the programs you install) tell it what programs/commands to run, when to run them, and how often to run them. When those conditions are met, it runs what it needs to without input from you. If it encounters problems, it emails the root account to let the system admin what happened.

If I'm wrong about any of this, someone please correct me.

HTH