Re: Debian Boot Process

Kris wrote:
> Ok I am trying to do some fancy stuff and need to know how the debian 2.4.18
> boot process works.  Ok ouch I will compare.  If for example I wanted to
> know the step by step process of an msdos system I would say something like
>
> It loads the kernel in msdos.sys and io.sys
> then it loads the command.com command interpriter.
> then it runs the devices installed in c:\config.sys
> then it runs all the commands in the autoexec.bat
> then either returns a prompt or launches windows.
>
> Well I need this in a debian format.  So first lilo directs to which kernel
> then what where and how is it loaded next.  Does it load the modueles before
> init or after.  Where does init load from.

1. Your boot loader loads and runs the kernel.
2. The kernel mounts the root filesystem and runs init.
3. init reads /etc/inittab, which instructs it to first run /etc/init.d/rcS
4. /etc/init.d/rcS runs all the programs in /etc/rcS.d/, in oder
5. init enters the default runlevel, which makes it run /etc/init.d/rc
   passing that pogram the runlevel
6. /etc/init.d/rc runs all the programs in /etc/rc<runlevel>.d/, in order
7. init runs any gettys or anything else configured in /etc/inittab to
   run at the default runlevel

--
see shy jo