Re: testing migration

Hall Stevenson wrote:
> I *believe* you can configure debconf to NOT overwrite existing config
> files, automatically overwrite them, or prompt you before doing so.

debconf is a system for asking questions. It has nothing to do with
config files. It does not modify config files.

Any package in debian that, during installation or upgrade, loses changes
you have locally made to a config file is broken. A bug report of
severity serious should be filed on it for its violation of debian
policy, section 11.7.3:

     Configuration file handling must conform to the following behavior:
        * local changes must be preserved during a package upgrade, and
        * configuration files must be preserved when the package is
          removed, and only deleted when the package is purged.

--
see shy jo, author of debconf