Re: Switching to unstable

Matthias Szupryczynski <silk_worm@gmx.net> writes:

> I am thinking to switch from stable to unstable these days. Is this
> advisable at the moment, or is the unstable branch suffering from mayor
> problems right now (libc broken etc.)

  I run testing and grab packages from unstable that are having a hard
  time making it over to testing. This is a nice compromise between
  stability and bleeding edge. You might consider doing that too.

  To do this, add both testing and unstable to your sources.list file,
  and then create /etc/apt/preferences with the following to track
  testing but allow for packages in unstable:

    Package: *
    Pin: release a=testing
    Pin-Priority: 600

    Package: *
    Pin: release a=unstable
    Pin-Priority: 80

  Then, to install an unstable package, use

    apt-get -t unstable install package1 package2 ...

  Do read the apt_preferences man page for more info.