nvidia geforce4... help...

I have successfully built the nvidia drivers and Gnome is looking great.
However, when I logout of X and return to console, my monitor displays a
box that says "Monitor is working, out of scan range, change PC settings"
It also happens when I do ctrl-alt-F* into any other terminals from X.
Does anyone know why and how to fix this?  It's really annoying to have to
reboot everytime to return to pure console.  And I am also wanting to use
VNC which doesn't work either because of this problem.  Thanks in advance!

Debian 3.0 unstable
MSI Nvidia Geforce 4 MX440SE-T

Jeremy
--