X goes transparent after update

Hi!

Last weekend I updated my notebook to the most current unstable version.
Before this update my unstable (2 month old) worked fine.

kde is broken, but that's a problem I can handle. My problem is the X
server:

I can't really describe it - the background image is ok, there are two
icons on my desktop, the date (corner) and the four numbers of my
desktops, the clipboard icon and the rest is transparent (=background).

When I click where I exspect my buttons, the programms start and I can
see some of the texts, but the rendering goes wrong.

What can I try to see my windows again?

I tried to reconfigure xfree86, same problem.
Video card: S3 86C270-294 Savage/MX-MV

cu Floh