Re: Software RAID and drive failures

On 10 Mar 2003, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 09:22, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> > At 2003-03-10T13:10:02Z, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
> >
> > > ??????  RAID1 can only handle 1 failure also!!
> >
> > Depends on how many drives are in the volume, doesn't it?
>
> Hmmm.  By definition, RAID1 is "mirroring".  Never heard of putting
> any more than 2 disks in a mirrorset.  Never even thought of it,
> actually.  With more than 2 disks, I'd automatically go with RAID5.

one approach is better than the other ... depending on the requirements
and specs and $$$ budgets

having 3 or 4 raid1 mirrored disks is good if..
	( you can have as many drives in the raid1 array
	( all with the same/identical data

	- you can suffer 3 of 4 disk dying.. :-)  and still limp along in
	degraded mode ( as if it was a single non-raid disk )

	- you really really cannot afford for the server to die
	because of a silly disk failure ... use multiple mirrors

	- and if you really really really really need to save data
	and cannot afford to lose it... ( like credit card processing )
	than save the data in SF, LA, NY, Miami, Dallas, etc

	- raid1  does NOT protect you against "rm -rf /"
	nor does it protect you against "rsync --delete"

having 4 disks in raid5...
	- if you lose one disks.... you're in degraded mode..
	- lose  and 2nd disk ... and kiss 4 disks worth of data bye-bye

if we assuming one disk reads at 50MB/sec
than having an 2nd raid1 disks reads at an effective 100MB/sec
	-- writing takes little longer to write since you have
	to do lot more work on more (slow) spindles

if you want 10 disks..
	first set of 5 disks .. use 4 + spare  --> one raid5
	second set of 5 disks . use 4 + spare  --> another raid5

	now raid1 both of those raid5 ... and you can read data 2x faster

-- i rather see more independent systems  than number of disks

-- you need more and more disks if you are storing 100-500GB mpeg files

more raid fun...
	http://www.1U-Raid5.net

	8x 240GB ide disks in one 1U ???
	....nah .. too much thumb twidling when it goes down

c ya
alvin

fun stuff ???
-- a disk in LA ...   www1.foo.com