Re: exim & iptables

* Hal Klingsporn <hal@retrotech.org> [20030309 06:26 PST]:

> On Saturday, March 8, 2003, at 09:58 PM, Gary Turner wrote:
>
> >Hal wrote:
> >
> >>I'm using Woody as a firewall with NAT to protect a small network that
> >>includes a mail and web server on  an unregistered (192.168....)
> >>network.  I'd like to configure the fw so that it can send mail alerts
> >>to the users via the mail server on the protected net.  If I set
> >>exim.conf to preclude all local machine delivery (i.e. force remote
> >>delivery)
> >
> >Why would you do that?  How do your local (intranet) users get their
> >mail?
> >
> Mail to/from users on the local net are handled by a mail (exim) server
> inside the firewall.  This works very well.  The only issue is getting
> machine generated mail from the fw to the internal mail server.

What's the difference?  How are those internal hosts (for which it is
working) configured?  Why can't the firewall machine be configured the
same way?

> Disabling local delivery (local to the firewall) forces exim on the
> firewall to look for the appropriate mail server.

Right ... maybe you ought to set it to deliver all mail through a smart
host, and set that smart host to be your mailserver.  I think this is
what eximconfig calls a "satellite system".

Your exim.conf smarthost router will look something like this:

smarthost:
  driver = domainlist
  transport = remote_smtp
  route_list = "* 192.168.x.x byname"

Also make sure that your mail server relays for this host, but I think
you've probably already done that, probably by allowing your entire
192.168.x.x subnet to relay through the mailserver.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/