Re: wtf? (long and frustrated)

(breaking the in-reply-to header, since this is really a different topic)

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 11:49:03AM -0700, Glenn English wrote:
> When the installer says, "Have fun," and reboots, the screen blinks a
> couple times, and a curses dialog box comes up saying it can't run X,
> telling me why, and offering to run the X configuration program - that's
> cool. I say, "Yes," and a program starts - IN X!!!
>
> This is not funny, folks; it's sadistic.

heh, oops, sorry, wasn't supposed to laugh :)  okay, let's do a little
triage here.

mouse:

in a console, run gpmconfig.  if you can get the mouse going in console
mode, you're set.  i don't know enough about your setup to know what
kind of mouse you have, but i'd guess ps2.  when it asks you about
"repeating", tell it you want to repeat "raw" (w/out quotes).

X:

log in on a console and try

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

and let debconf take you through the configuration.  i find it's the best
way if you don't want to mess around with config files yourself.  to get
your mouse working, if you got it working on the console, give it
/dev/gpmdata for your mouse device.

PCMCIA:

assuming you have a default debian kernel, you should install the
pcmcia-modules package for your kernel version, and then the pcmcia-cs
package.  works pretty well in my experience.

	sean