Re: Quiet cases (was Re: buy or build computer?)

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 04:17, Robert A. Knop Jr. wrote:
> Nathan E Norman <nnorman@incanus.net> wrote:
> > Find a _quiet_ case; noisy fans can damage your hearing (ask me; I'll
> > tell you.  I've been around loud electronics for about 6 years now,
> > servers and routers, and my ears ring all the time).
>
> I feel your pain... never mind the computer, the bloody temperature
> system in my office is non-stop noise.
>
> Can you recommend any good (not too expensive) quiet cases?  I may build
> a computer soon to be my home grown PVR/DVD combo, and of course
> anything sitting in the living room on all the time needs to be quiet.
>
> -Rob

My son has an Athlon system and that comes with a very noisy fan as does my
Duron box.

Steps taken.
1. Buy a copper heat sink with variable speed fan.

2. Buy a server case, it's about 3-4" deeper than the standard midi tower.
And it is a bit dearer too. But it does allow better air circulation so he
can get a lot of his cooling done with lower velocity case fans rather than
run his cpu fan flat out.

3. Buy a temperature monitor so at any given time you only need to have the
cpu fan running as fast as necessary. Normally his cpu fan is at min speed
unless he is video encoding. For that job the fan is flat out.

hth
Bob