Re: exim & iptables

* Hal Klingsporn <hal@retrotech.org> [20030309 06:26 PST]:

> On Saturday, March 8, 2003, at 09:58 PM, Gary Turner wrote:
>
> >Hal wrote:
> >
> >>I'm using Woody as a firewall with NAT to protect a small network that
> >>includes a mail and web server on  an unregistered (192.168....)
> >>network.  I'd like to configure the fw so that it can send mail alerts
> >>to the users via the mail server on the protected net.  If I set
> >>exim.conf to preclude all local machine delivery (i.e. force remote
> >>delivery)
> >
> >Why would you do that?  How do your local (intranet) users get their
> >mail?
> >
> Mail to/from users on the local net are handled by a mail (exim) server
> inside the firewall.  This works very well.  The only issue is getting
> machine generated mail from the fw to the internal mail server.
> Disabling local delivery (local to the firewall) forces exim on the
> firewall to look for the appropriate mail server.
>

> >>Any suggestions on how to tell the firewall to send mail to the
> >>internal mail server?  Is it an exim or firewall config issue?

Well, both, I think.

I'd recommend you use a strictly internal domain (i.e. .internal or
.lan, not .myinternetname.com) for your internal hosts.  Then, set your
firewall to use this internal domain as its qualify_domain, and it
should know that the default mail server for that internal domain is the
internal name of your internal mail server.  Make sense?

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/