Re: cdrecord doesn't work

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 06:07:30PM +0100, Florian Sukup wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have trouble writing a CD using cdrecord.
>
> My old Computer is running SuSE. There I can write a CD.
>
> There is Debian woody on my new computer and here it's not working:
>
> # cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=10 blank=fast file.cd_image
> Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> scsidev: '0,0,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
> cdrecord: No such device. Cannot open '/dev/pg0'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
> root.

This just means that you haven't quite loaded the modules correctly.
You need (in this order):
ide-scsi
sg
sr_mod

Check 'dmesg' to make sure that ide-scsi has take your CD drive; if not,
remove all the cdrom modules (cdrom, ide-cdrom, maybe more), then load
the modules in the order I listed above.

> To make it work I tried
>
> modprobe ide-scsi
> mknod pg0 c 97 0

Heh, AFAIK, the pg devices are 'generic-scsi-over-parallel-port'
devices, which is probably not what you want :)

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/