problems with xfree86 4.2 under woody

Hi,
I'm sorry if this question is a little too newbie-ish, but my system is
in a bit of a state and I could really use some help.

In trying to upgrade to gnome 2.2, I ran into a dependency on xfree86
4.2 (thanks Yuhanes Tjandra for helping out with that one). So I tried
to upgrade to xfree86 4.2.
eek.
The upgrade only partially succeeded and some of my packages are XFree86
4.2, some are 4.1.

Should I have deinstalled xfree86 and then installed the new packages,
or did I do the right thing in trying to upgrade? Now that I'm stuck
here (without a working X system), what can I do? What further
diagnostics could I usefully send to the list to help solve my problem?

Thanks,

Tom