Re: Problems with Gnome2

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 15:52, Chris Hoover wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I finally have gotten a clean install of gnome2 for my unstable dist
> laptop, and I'm having some strange problems with gnome2 and was
> wondering if anyone else is having them
>
> 1.  I have a 1.7 Ghz p4m laptop with 512megs mem.  However, gnome
> feels extreamly sluggish.  An example of this would be working in one
> terminal for an extended period of time and then try to highlight the
> 5 desktop icons.  It will take a noticable amount of time for the
> icons to be highlighted, and there will be no "shadow" box appearing
> showing that area of the desktop I'm trying to highlight.  However, if
> I immediatly try to do the same thing, it appears to work fine and the
> performance is much better.  I am noticing this in several places
> doing different things.

I have a very similarly powered system and the only performance issue I
have found is with gnome-terminal killing my cpu when scrolling. This
appears to be related to using the vesa xfree86 driver rather than an
accelerated one. What you are describing sounds like a nautilus problem.
If you kill nautilus (and remove it from the session to prevent
respawning) do the other problems go away?

Anything in your ~/.xsession-errors ?

> 2.  When I try to launch gnome stuff from the menu or from a launcher
> icon and there is the afore mentioned sluggishness, it causes xmms to
> pause for a brief period of time.
>
> I have had top running during the problems, but there is never a load
> on my machine.  I am hoping that these are problems with gnome or the
> packaging that will be fixed and not a "standard feature".  It seems
> that gnome should just fly on a machine like mine since I have both
> the memory and the horsepower.

Now this sounds like a disk access problem, I wonder if that is the
cause of (1) as well. Have you fiddled with hdparm at all? What does
hdparm -t /dev/hda give you?

Perhaps your disk is spinning down and waking back up when you perform
one of these actions. Does anyone know if there is a way to see whether
the disk is spun down (other than putting your ear to the system :-)?

-Mark