Re: Some kernel compile questions

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003, Sukrit wrote:

> hi listers,
>
> i have some kernel related questions, i have read the fine manunal
> (kernel-howto) but didn't get answers to these.
>
> 1. How do i decide which modules to load at boot time, which file is
> to be edited? (i am thinking that i'll compile support for lots of
> devices - cd-writer, different network cards - as modules that way i
> won't have to recompile kernel when i add those devices. So i don't
> want all my modules to be loaded at boot time. Also, i don't want to
> dynamically and automatically load/unload modules)
[...]

I only can recommend the debian way like it is described in
"Debian reference" by Osamu Aoki

[...]
# apt-get install debhelper modutils kernel-package libncurses5-dev
# apt-get install kernel-source-<2.4.18>   # use latest version
# vi /etc/kernel-pkg.conf                # input my name and email
$ cd /usr/src                            # build directory
$ tar --bzip2 -xvf kernel-source-<2.4.18>.tar.bz2
$ cd kernel-source-<2.4.18>                # if this is your kernel source
$ rm -rf */pcmcia
    # [OPTIONAL] if one wants to use modules from pcmcia-cs or no pcmcia
$ cp /boot/config-<2.4.18-386> .config     # get current config as default
$ make menuconfig                        # customize as one wishes
$ make-kpkg clean                        # must run (per: man make-kpkg)
$ fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version -<486> --initrd \
        --revision=<rev.01> kernel_image \
        modules_image # modules_image is for pcmcia-cs* etc.
$ cd ..
# dpkg -i kernel-image*.deb pcmcia-cs*.deb # install
[...]

For the make menuconfig startup I recommend to copy the config file of a
debian standard kernel from /boot/config to /usr/src/linux and loading it.

Then go through all the single points and decide for yourself which parts
should be compiled as modules and which should be compiled in the kernel.
It is a long way but you learn a lot.

Afterwards you can run modconf to load the modules you need (the kernel error
messages will tell you)

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit