Re: hosts.(allow|deny)

In article <[🔎] 20030307200114.GA24524@wacka.mjr.org>, Hugh Saunders wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 09:43:34AM -0800, nate wrote:
>> Hugh Saunders said:
>> another reason I don't use it is I prefer firewalls over it.
> Hmmm i guess iptables would be better but i dont speak iptables yet and
> hosts seemed like a quick fix and as with most quik fixes, it probably
> isnt the best way of doing things.

for what? a kernel with compiled in iptable - support is slower than a
minimum kernel (shorter code paths) and I don't want to see (l)users to
mess up with iptable scripts.

A "standard" user shouldn't have any servers (except samba | ssh |
smtpd) enabled, there should be no need for iptable scripts which could
not be satisfied by hosts.(deny|allow)

> thanks for help
>
> hugh

Andreas
--
> Translate "Scientia est Potentia", please.
Scientiests' dicks are hard and strong.
                --Dimitri Maziuk