Re: where does 'root' mail go ?

On Friday 07 March 2003 1:16 pm, Dave Selby wrote:
>On Friday 07 March 2003 4:24 pm, Colin Watson wrote:
>> >
>> > "via the web with kmail", as in access the internet for my email.
>>
>> The Internet is not just the Web. E-mail is one of the bits that's
>> (usually) decidedly not the Web.
>>
>> > /etc/aliases contains ...
>> >
>> > daemon: root
>> > bin: root
>> > sys: root
>> > sync: root
>> > games: root
>> > man: root
>> > lp: root
>> > mail: root
>> > news: root
>> > uucp: root
>> > proxy: root
>> > postgres: root
>> > www-data: root
>> >
>> > So my root mail goes to root ? because of "mail:root" ?
>>
>> No, that means that mail to the 'mail' user is delivered to root. Is
>> there a line beginning with "root:"?
>
>I got a root:root ....
>

># This is the aliases file - it says who gets mail for whom.
># It was originally generated by `eximconfig', part of the
>exim package
># distributed with Debian, but it may edited by the mail system
> administrator. # This file originally generated by eximconfig at Thu Jan
>2 18:25:12 GMT 2003
># See exim info section for details of the things that can
>be configured here.
>
>postmaster: root
>root: root
>
>daemon: root
>bin: root
>sys: root
>sync: root
>
>Dave

That 'root:root' means that any system email meant for the adminstrator goes
to the account 'root.'

What you can do (as root or with sudo) is edit the file /etc/aliases and add
an entry 'root: username', after which you issue the command 'newaliases.'
Then any email meant for 'root' will instead go to 'username.'

Jeff Elkins
http://www.elkins.org