Re: recurring error in exim's log

On Mar  7 10:40, ScruLoose wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 08:30:45PM +1100, Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:40:04PM -0500, ScruLoose wrote:
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > Now, my mail seems to be coming and going... mostly happily.
> > > But I keep seeing this in eximon (which is just showing me exim's mainlog,
> > > AFAIK):
> > >
> > > 22:46:08 SMTP command timeout on connection from miguel (localhost) [127.0.0.1]
> > > 22:46:22 unqualified recipient rejected: <fetchmail> H=miguel (localhost) [127.0.0.1] U=fetchmail

Exim will abort/close an SMTP connection if the sending host has
left the connection idle for so long.  The timeout can be
altered withe the option smtp_receive_timeout in Exim's config
file.  However as this defaults to 5 minutes this should be long
enough unless you've changed it.

The "unqualified recipient rejected" is caused by mail
being sent to fetchmail without a domain.  To allow Exim to
accept an unqualified recipient address add
"receiver_unqualified_hosts = localhost" to Exim's config
file.  You may also want to add an alias for fetchmail to
/etc/aliases as well, so you don't have to go looking for
the mail.

Then you will be able to read the error message that
fetchmail is sending which should give more info about the
"SMTP command timeout error".

--

Jason Chambers (chambersj@chambersj.dyndns.org)
Leicester, England