Re: Small/Medium scale SAMBA

On Friday 07 March 2003 7:55 am, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> I am currently researching the possibility of slowly moving an existing
> Novell network [with all Windows clients except mine :)] to something
> Linux based. I have about 900 clients that would be slowly migrated if
> this whole thing is feasible. The version of NetWare we are using now is
> no longer "officially supported" from Novell, so it is becoming more and
> more difficult to successfully make newer hardware work with the old
> software.
>
> Can Samba handle this kind of client load? It would be mainly for basic
> file/sharing and print spooling...

Samba will handle it with ease. Start with the excellent book 'Using Samba'.
IBM DeveloperWorks has a great tutorial on using Samba as a domain
controller.

If it were me I would try real hard to get the budget to upgrade Netware.
Netware 6 is the best network OS of all. But if that's not in the cards,
Samba will do a good job for you.

--
Carla Schroder