gnomba wont smbumount

hi,

i have samba set up between two debian boxes. i can smbmount/smbumount
with no troubles.
last night i installed gnomba, which mounts shares very nicely. the
problem is, when i try to unmount them using gnomba, it fails, says "...
failed... device or resource busy... make sure smbumount is installed
suid root". now, after that, i quit gnomba, and i can't seem to
smbumount the share, not even as root! i restarted samba on the remote
pc, now weird things happen. an "ls" tells gives me input/output errors,
and "df" doesn't show it mounted at all!
currently, this time around, i have not restarted samba on the remote.
the share isn't showing in df but i can still open files. smbstatus on
the remote shows everything ok (mounted). Here are my permissions on
smbumount:

-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root       427592 Nov 22 06:02
/usr/bin/smbumount

i'm trying to find out why gnomba is having a hard time with smbumount.
any advice will help, even if it's a way to disconnect the smb
connection from the remote pc if it'll work nice and not leave me with
i/o errors!

tia,
jason

--