Re: kernel: lp0 on fire ????

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 07:06:04PM +0000, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
> Mar  6 14:24:35 server kernel: lp0 on fire
>
> What does this mean - I can confirm that there is no actual fire as of
> yet but it does have me worried - any thoughts ?

You just became the umpteenth victim of an extremely long running
linux joke.  When your printer is turned off, and the computer tries
to check the port that printer is attached to, it reads a normally
impossible state (I think it's "ready" and "No paper"
simultaneously).  Since it's not possible to be ready and not have
paper if you're a printer, the kernel spits back an equally unlikely
scenario (the printer's screaming, it must be on fire).

You're in on the joke now, enjoy it.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user