Re: Some kernel compile questions

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 13:14 +0530, Sukrit wrote:
> i have some kernel related questions, i have read the fine manunal
> (kernel-howto) but didn't get answers to these.
>
> 1. How do i decide which modules to load at boot time, which file is
> to be edited? (i am thinking that i'll compile support for lots of
> devices - cd-writer, different network cards - as modules that way i
> won't have to recompile kernel when i add those devices. So i don't
> want all my modules to be loaded at boot time. Also, i don't want to
> dynamically and automatically load/unload modules)

I've compiled kernels the non-debian way without kernel-package so my
advice below is probably not the 'right way' to do it...  :)

The modules you list in /etc/modules get loaded at boot.

> 2. What is the function of system.map file, after compiling kernel
> (the non-debian way) is it necessary to copy the file to /boot and edit
> lilo.conf to reflect changes.

Not sure what it does exactly... something to do with giving the kernel
an idea about compiled modules maybe.  I copy it to
/boot/System.map-KERNEL-VERSION

> 3. i compiled the kernel, now do i need to get kernel-headers? What is
> the function of kernel-headers?

I don't use this package if I've compiled my own kernel.

> 4. Right now i am copying kernel bzImage into /boot renaming it, and
> editing lilo. Also for modules i
> #make modules
> #make modules_install
>
> If i already have the same version of kernel running does old module
> tree get over-written or not?

to avoid this I edit Makefile and put something in `EXTRAVERSION =`

Michael