Still struggling with my modem(s)

It seems the installation of my USB modem drivers went OK. At least I didn't
get any error messages. I think I made the mistake of installing the drivers
for my Win Modem just after that and before testing USB. Here (when
installing the Win Modem drivers) I got error messages. Apparently both
devices want to take the thing (I do not know what it really is) tty SL0
(please notice the *L* in there, it is not ttyS0), and assign the symbolic
link /dev/modem to them. So the Win Modem installation gave me the
instructions:

"The modem symbolic link is: /dev/modem ---> ./ttySL0 (please notice the dot
just before "/").
This will conflict with support for the Lucent Win Modem.
Please: rm -f /dev/modem
and assign another symbolic link to ./ttySL0, such as:
ln -s ./ttySL0/dev/modem2."

Now, I did nothing. I installed the USB drivers again, and I thought I had
restored everything for the USB modem, and tested. In the /root directory I
found "modem" all right. Tested, wvdial says /dev/modem "no such device.
Now, I do not know what created the entry "modem" in the root directory. I
ran the Win Modem installation again expecting to get the same errors, but
no, it completed without any error messages. Test. wvdial: /dev/modem, "no
such device". I installed the USB drivers again.

Last I did is follow the advise of a friend of mine and do the following:

rm -f /dev/modem
ln -s tty USB0 modem
Ln -s ./ttyUSB0/dev/modem

"/dev/modem already exists"

ln -s tty LS0 modem2
ln -s ./ttyS0/dev/modem2

I simply have just a blurred idea of what is going on, but I would want to
have the USB modem as /dev/modem, and the Win Modem as /devmodem2.

Now, could you please, first excuse me for my dumbness, and repetitions and
second treat me as a real dumb (apple style, well, you can do it Windows
style) and explain to me what am I doing, what is ttySL0, ttyS0, ttyUSB0,
etc, and what can I do to fix my problem?

By the way, if I put /dev/modem in diald in KDE for FIFO (if I understood
well, "/dev/modem" is a FIFO, is it not?), the thing protests, if I put
/dev/modem2, the thing doesn't protest, but does nothing. And in wvdial in
the command line I cannot try /dev/modem2 because it is not in the
wvdial.config file. Can you tell me how to configure it to make it dial both
/dev/modem and /dev/modem2?

Sorry about it all. Just short of time to do a proper research.

Teilhard Knight
The Extraterrestrial

Who ate my sandwich?