Re: annoying problem with TFT on dell laptop

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 20:21, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have spent the last few hours installing debian testing on a brand new
> dell inspiron laptop and have managed to get it very close to working
> properly. I am however, having two problems that are throwing me off
> both to do with the display.
>
> The first is that every second time I load linux up, it shrinks the
> screen size to the center. I have a 15" screen but it only uses the
> center (maybe 12" or something - looked like 640x480 or something). When
> I reboot, the bios post screen is *also* this size and so is the grub
> screen.
You didn't say which model Inspiron you have, but I'm assuming it's one
of the 8000-series models. Pushing Fn-F7 will switch you between the
"middle of the screen" effect and the full screen. However, I would
strongly recommend that you run X in your laptop screen's natural
resolution. (1400x1050 on my Inspiron 8000.) The picture quality is much
better and you never have to worry about only using part of the screen.

As for switching between vt's, I used to have a similar problem. I don't
remember if I fixed it myself or if one of the updates sometime last
year did it, but now it works fine for me. It's actually faster than on
my desktop machine at home since I don't have to wait for a CRT to
switch modes.

Hope this helps.
--
Alex Malinovich