Install over plip (was Re: switching between CUPS and PLIP?)

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 04:36:46PM -0500, Levi Waldron wrote:
> On February 28, 2003 03:04 am, ScruLoose wrote:
-SNIP-
> > I'll need to unload lp before loading plip, so that plip can
> > 'own' the parallel port.
> > Right?
>
> Yes.  The only way it can't work is if lp is compiled into the kernel, which
> is not a standard option.

Whee!  okay, plip seems to load and unload happily enough on the ol'
desktop box.

> One fun way you could accomplish your task would be to start with a minimal
> floppy distro just to get plip going, then just copy an entire filesystem
> either over the minimal distro or on a new partition.  I've done this on a
> couple old 386's and posted my experience at:
>
> http://www.superant.com/cgi-bin/smalllinux.pl?Small_Linux_Notes_By_Levi_Waldron

Hmm...  I may try that out... dunno if it'll be much of an advantage for
my situation.  If I can't convince the "boot-floppies" system to get
plip going, that'll be my next line of attack.

Right now I'm working from the rescue, root, and 4 driver floppies from
my woody CD... from the 1440 set of images.
When I try to load the plip module, I get this:

/lib/modules/2.2.20/net/plip.o init_module: Device or resource busy
A couple of other comments follow, then "Installation failed".

My detective work on Google turned up this page:

http://turing.uiah.fi/tarmo/text/plip.html

Which says that plip is probably failing because I need to give it an
IRQ.  It also says something about having to write it straight into the
/proc filesystem because plip won't accept it as a module parameter.
Umm, okay.  If I had an IRQ to provide it, I'd try that.

How do I find out what IRQ the parallel port is actually on?
Do I need to specify an I/O address to go with it, and if so, how do I
find *that* out?
Does it make any difference whether I put the port in bi-directional,
ECP, or EPP mode?  (I have no idea what these modes mean.)

I can't interrogate the old win95 system for any of these values, 'cause
I've already repartitioned/reformatted the HD.  (oops?)

The machine in question is a Hitachi Pentium 133 laptop:
Notebook E133D/1000
Model # HESP100DS

	Thanks for any help,
	-Chris