Re: Linux enigma

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 08:36, Phil wrote:
> Linux enigma:
> I recently tried to install SuSE linux on a workstation that does not boot
> from CDROM.  There is a suse utility that writes installation files to a
> windows HD but alas suse could not install and put on Debian.  HOWEVER! the
> suse installation utility created several directories that I cannot
> remove.  In the windows partition of this machine, I have a linux directory
> where suse created a suse directory and a setup directory therein
> (windows/linux/suse/setup  -  when viewed from the now installed debian
> partition). Inside of the setup directory is an entity called '/linux' that
> I have tried to delete with rm and rmdir and get an error message:
>
> rm: cannot remove '/linux': No such file or directory
> rmdir: '/linux': No such file or directory
>
> when I try to access this entity with Midnight Commander (my trusted friend
> from MSDOS days) I get the following message
>
> File '/linux' exists but can not be stat-ed: No such file or directory.
>
> How does one deal with entities like this?

Can you umount/mount the partition to see if /linux goes away?

Also, aren't there utilities you can run on the MS side to fix this
kind of thing?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| The difference between Rock&Roll and Country Music?       |
| Old Rockers still on tour are pathetic, but old Country   |
| signers are still great.                                  |