Re: How to gather information about a open port?

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:45:05 +0100
Qian Gong <q.gong@tue.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use nmap to detect the security of my friend's win2k machine and
> find a open tcp port 1039. We tried several days but can not find any
> information about this port. Is it possible to use some Linux tools to
> probe this port and gather information during communication with this
> port? Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

Is it a Dell system?

As this is not known to me as a standard service, it could be either
Dell's monitoring software or a trojan. There's a VB trojan that uses
this port.

Fiddling with 'telnet host port' can also help in such cases.

Regards,
Christian