Re: Sound

Seneca wrote:
On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:25:41PM -0500, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:

Ok, so I just compiled kernel 2.2.20 with sound support and emu10k1 (or whatever it's called) supported by default. So what do I need to install to actually get some sound playing? Some sort of sound infrastructure or something?

I have a soundblaster audigy.

"cat foo > /dev/dsp", however I can't promise that it'll sound good ;-)

You should add yourself to the audio group, download some proper audio
players, and try playing something.  If by "supported by default" you
mean that it is compiled directly into the kernel, and is not a module,
then you don't have to load it separately.  Otherwise, just do a quick
"modprobe emu10k1" before trying to play anything.

It exists, but it doesn't exist? Also, how do I add myself to the audio groop? And yes, it's compiled directly into the kernel.

----------
# cat di604_firmware_218.zip > /dev/dsp
bash: /dev/dsp: No such device
#