RE: Working with WAV files

>>> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 04:07:07PM -0500, David Turetsky wrote:

   What packages are out there which facilitate editing?

>>> sean finney [mailto:seanius@seanius.net]
>>> Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 11:14 AM

   a good one that you can run from the command line is sox.  it has a
bunch
   of basic effects and filters you can pass the sound through, i've
used
   it in the past and been happy with it

>>> David Turetsky:

   I checked it out and was impressed. Not seeing how to listen to the
   WAV file, I tried 'play' which makes use of sox and discovered that
   my sound card uses a chip set provided by a bankrupted manufacturer,
   Aureal

   I check 'modconf' and before attempting to install any driver,
   visited http://aureal.sourceforge.net/ and
   http://www.vortexofsound.com/techhelp/th-v2a43.htm and
   related sites. Windows identifies my sound card as 'Aureal Vortex
   8830 Audio (WDM)'. 'lspci' gives Multimedia audio controller: Aureal
   Semiconductor Vortex 2 (rev fe)

   When I purchased the card with my Dell system, it was described as
   Montego Bay (which shows up on 'modconf's list)

   Before I go off experimenting with modconf, I wonder if anyone has
   been over this ground. If I add a driver using modconf and get no
   result, how do I remove it?

   --
   David