Re: howto verify burn?

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 04:22, Ray wrote:
> how do i verify that the burned cd is correctly burned?
>
> i burned a set of Debian 3.0r1 cds and have md5sums of the isos, but they
> don't match the output of
> md5sum -b /dev/cdrom

Not really an expert on what happens on cds but I belive it has something to
do with the some extra nulls packing it out to the end of a 2048 block or
something like that.

In any case the actual cd generally has a different md5sum than the iso.

One way:
cat /dev/cdrom > test.iso
md5sum test.iso
md5sum original.iso

Or do it file by file:
mount /cdrom/
md5sum /cdrom/* | cut -d ' ' -f 1 > cdsums
mount original.iso -r -t iso9660 -o loop /mnt
md5sum /mnt/* | cut -d ' ' -f 1 > isosums
diff cdsums isosums

hth
Bob