Re: bash: common history across multiple sessios ???

* Michael D. Schleif <mds@helices.org> [20030304 19:15 PST]:
> By-the-by, where does a bash session keep track of command history while
> that session is open?
>
> How does it know whether to use ~/.bash_history or this elusive memory
> pointer?

It always performs history search/substitution from the history in
memory.  ~/.bash_history (or, more precisely, HISTFILE) is read at start
and written at exit.  That's all the file is used for; bash doesn't do
any seeking/reading during normal operations.  The file is just to store
the data when bash exits.

This information is in the manual (bash(1)).

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/