Speaking of strange problems...

Speaking of strange problems, I have a load of them.  The biggest one is
that ever since I upgraded the motherboard of my server, I have not been
able to type in console.  The key set is all messed up(ie, I type j and
another character comes up and F7 is backspace,etc).  However, if I find a
way to get into X, all the keys work fine.  Also, the mouse is not
properly working in X either.  All I get is a black box in place of the
pointer and some error messages about detecting the mouse. I am wondering
if it has to do with the motherboards mouse and keyboard ps/2 ports.  I am
also wondering if upgrading the kernel will do anything.  Anything to fix
it rather than re-installing cause I can't afford to do that. Any advice?
Thanks in advance!  =)

specs -
AMD Duron 900Mhz.
MSI MS-6378 motherboard