Re: Patched sendmail? testing?

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 11:32:34AM -0500, stan wrote:
> > >
> > > Testing doesn't have security updates, and has never been advertised as
> > > having security updates.  Are you volunteering?
> > >
> > > <sigh> Someone else running testing in a production environment.
> >
> > And my choices are?
> >
> > As I see them.
> >
> > 1. Run unstable, and have a broken system more often than not.
> > 2. Run stable and have 1970's versions of software/
>
> That's a hopeless exaggeration; I run stable happily on my home server.
> Anyway, if you run testing you need to manage the security yourself by
> backporting patches. I don't believe anyone will ever have told you
> otherwise.

Just to join in...

I'm typing this on a hopelessly crufty old IBM ThinkPad 570, running
unstable.

I happen to admin several machines running Stable, doing such things as
application servers, database servers, development sandoxes, firewalls,
and difficult-to-identify needed machines.

Unstable is sometimes screwed up. Not for long, but it happens. My fonts
under X are still fucked; when I have time, I'll make Gnome apps and
mozilla happy.

Stable environments are that. Security patches are there when needed.
The latest version of YAWebSearchEnginePHP aren't. And I don't care that
they aren't.

For my desktop, Unstable is great. Sure, it is buggy sometimes. I've run
Windows when it was buggy sometimes.

For servers, Stable is great. I sometimes build daemons more current,
and it still is a lot more pleasant than doing so under Solaris, AIX or,
honestly, under FBSD (this from a serious FreeBSD fan.)

If you broke your box running unstable, ask around and you can get
answers to fix it. There's a reason why it is called unstable.

Sorry, I'm in a  bad mood.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        jal@jal.org
"You're young, you're drunk, you're in bed, you have knives -