Re: Patched sendmail? testing?

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 02:25:38PM -0500, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> At 02:04 PM 3/4/2003 -0500, stan wrote:

> >as

> >> That's a hopeless exaggeration; I run stable happily on my home server.
> >> Anyway, if you run testing you need to manage the security yourself by
> >> backporting patches. I don't believe anyone will ever have told you
> >> otherwise.
> >>
> >> (It's not an ideal situation, true. However, it's reality.)
> >>
> >Not idael at all. As a matter of fact, it makes the whole concept of a
> >testing release pretty useless. Look:
> >
> >13:58:15 up 249 days,  5:48,  1 user,  load average: 0.35, 0.32, 0.36
> >
> >root@phsepi1:~# cat /etc/debian_version
> >testing/unstable
> >
> >This is a amchien providing production related process control information
> >in a paper mill. The uptime would be longer, but I had a bug in my software
> >that was generating zombies, and ahd to reboot to clean up that mess.
> >
> >That's certainly "stab;e"enough for em. And it gets apt-get dist-upgraded
> >pretty much every weekday morning.
> >
> >So, we have a pretty "stable" release good enough "IMHO" for "real
> >production" work. But we choose to cripple it by not providing security
> >updtaes?
> >
> >Sounds like bad allocation of resources to me!
>
> Sounds like that machine could function without internet access and
> therefore probably not need to be concerned about this sendmail
> vulnerability. If it does need outside access, say for allowing you to
> remotely reach it, does it need to run sendmail also ?? Couldn't a smaller,
> simpler SMTP app work okay ??

Ture on both counts.

> I guess this particular issue with sendmail patches being available in
> testing isn't your real complaint though...

Exaclty.

My point is that the testing release ahs proven to be stable in a
production environemnt (for me at least), and has, for example, much more
current perl modules, than stable. This is required for our software to
work.

So, I would like to be able to beleove that a amchine running "testing" is
at least reasoably secure.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin