Sendmail 8.12.8 compilation woes - missing symbols

Hi there,

I'm in the process of upgrading Sendmail on a batch of servers - no surprise there, I'm sure - and I've run into trouble on a few of them.

On some of them, with an older version of libc (2.1.3), everything works fine; it all compiles, links, installs and runs without a hitch.

On the others, with the most recent version of libc (2.2.5, installed from the 2.2.5-11.2 package available from debian.org at the moment), linking fails; can't find symbols res_init or atexit.

I had a look round Google and found reference to problems with atexit missing from an earlier version of libc, but got the impression that should be fixed in the more recent version (and didn't affect the older version).

There isn't a new package available (as of the time I'm writing this) and in any case the Debian package for 8.12.x has a couple of dependencies I would rather avoid - db3, for instance.

Suggestions for the next place to look welcomed.

Thanks

Simone

Overloaded with spam? With MSN 8, you can filter it out http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail&pgmarket=en-gb&XAPID=32&DI=1059