Re: Debian on Dell Precision 420 and SCSI

John Martinez said:

> I have downloaded the Woody ISOs. I burned the CDs. I can boot the   first
> CD. The problem? It doesn't see my hard drive.

what kernel are you booting? I think the default kernel doesn't support
adaptec scsi cards, try the compact kernel(it's available on the
same cd, look in the help when the boot menu comes up from the CD)

> Has anybody tried Debian on this system or one with an integrated
> Adaptec Ultra160 SCSI controller?

I remember installing Debian 2.2 on a Supermicro motherboard, dual
p3-800 I think it was with integrated Adaptec U160 SCSI, worked
fine ...

these boards I've installed debian 2.2 on:
http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/RCC_LE/370dl3.htm
http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/RCC_LE/p3tdl3.htm

the scsi chip isn't exactly the same but it's U160 still..

I haven't installed debian 3.0 on them(though upgraded from 2.2 fine),
3.0 is still quite new(for me), so I haven't installed it fresh on
many systems, but I do remember having trouble installing it with
the default kernel on a system with an adaptec 2940U2W controller,
switching to the compact kernel fixed it(I think its a 2.2.20 kernel
or something). I later recompiled my own kernel from scratch(as I
always do ...)

adaptec SCSI chips(2940 and up) are some of the best supported
in linux in my experience.

nate
(proudly dell-free)