Re: xmms, realplayer, and plugger

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:54:12PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:

> I'm using plugger with galeon.
>
> Few questions:
>
> - When I click on an audio file the entire file is downloaded before xmms
> begins to play.  Is there a way to get xmms to start playing before the
> download is complete (stream)?

xmms streaming depends on the audio I/O plugin. Configure the
plugin in xmms, and you can enable streaming and set buffer size. I
think streaming can only be set in Vorbis and Mpeg layer 1/2/3 player
for mp2 and mp3 streams.

If you are using plugger to call xmms from galeon, you will need to
setup streaming in /etc/pluggerrc or whereever you have configuration
file. See man plugger and look for "stream" and "preload" flags.

> (I noticed on a friends machine running Windows that their player is smart
> about downloading just enough to start playing and not overrun the slow
> download speed.)
>
> - When I select an audio file with galeon, xmms is started, and galeon
> window is blank.  If I click "Back" then playing stops.  It would be nice
> if xmms was started and then the browser was not blocked.
>
> - RealPlayer.  I downloaded Realplay (rp8_linux20_libc6_i386_cs2.bin), ran
> it and it installed in ~/RealPlayer8/.  Even if I set in /etc/Plugger-4.0:
>
> audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin:rpm:Realaudio-plugin resource locator
>         exits nokill: /home/moseley/RealPlayer8/realplay "$file"

I don't run realplay as a plugin via plugger. Within galeon,
audio/x-pn-realaudio is set to "Run with helper App"; helper is "Gnome
Default"; and "Always Use" is set to "True". Setting "Gnome Default"
is done in Gnome Control Center.

--
Jerome